- My Government
- County Clerk
- Marriage Licenses & Ceremonies
Marriage Licenses & Ceremonies
Marriage ceremonies can be performed by the County Marriage Commissioner and Deputy Marriage Commissioners from the Clerk-Recorder's Office at any of these beautiful locations in Downieville, CA, by appointment only, during normal business hours and weather permitting.
There are two types of marriage licenses for which a couple may apply: Public; and, Confidential. Both types of marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date they are issued. The Public Marriage license can be used anywhere in the State of California. The Confidential Marriage license must be used in the county where it was purchased. You must present the license to the person who is to perform the marriage ceremony. After the ceremony is performed, it is their responsibility to complete the license and to return it to the County Clerk for filing within 10 days after the ceremony.
To obtain a marriage license, both parties must appear together at the County Clerk-Recorder’s Office located in the Courthouse, at 100 Courthouse Square, Room 11, Downieville, CA.
Please complete the Application for a License and Certificate of Marriage prior to obtaining your marriage license. You may submit the application by fax, email, online through the Self Service Kiosk, by mail or personal delivery to our office.
- The fee for a regular marriage license is $66.
- The fee for a confidential marriage license (couple already residing together) is $71.
- Each party must present one form of valid photo identification, with proof of age.
- NOTE: If either party is under 18 years of age, written consent, counseling, and a Superior Court order is required before a license can be issued. For information, call the office of the Superior Court at (530) 289-3698 prior to the time to obtain your license.
- You must provide your parents full names (including mother’s maiden name), and the state or country in which they were born.
- If previously married, or in a State Registered Domestic Partnership, provide the date of dissolution, death, or termination.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- There are no residency requirements for the parties to be married or for witnesses to the ceremony.
- The Public marriage license can be used anywhere in the state of California. The Confidential marriage license can only be used in the county where it was issued.
- One witness is required on the Public marriage license; two are also acceptable. No witnesses are required for a Confidential marriage license.
- The Public license is a public record and available for anyone's inspection. The Confidential marriage license is not a public record, and a certified copy can only be purchased by the parties of the marriage, without a court order.
The Name Equality Act of 2007 (AB 102, Chapter 567, Statutes of 2007) gives specific rights to parties who are applying for their California marriage license to choose and list on the marriage license the new name(s) that each party will go by after marriage (Family Code 306.5).
Read more about the Name Equality Act of 2007
Marriage ceremonies for couples with valid marriage licenses are performed by the County Marriage Commissioner and Deputy Marriage Commissioners. Ceremonies are performed by appointment only during regular business hours. The fee for a civil ceremony is $50. A certified copy of the completed marriage license / certificate is available for a fee of $17.
Marriage Commissioner for a Day
Anyone who is 18 years old or older may be sworn in as a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a day for a $25.00 fee. They should appear in person any weekday prior to the ceremony. They will provide their full name, the date of the ceremony, and the city and county in California where the ceremony will take place. They will be sworn in by an oath of office for this specific event. Instructions will be provided on how to complete and return the marriage license.