All Local Testing Options
FREE walk-thru COVID-19 testing with OptumServe, under contract with the California Department of Public Health, now available:
Greenville January 16, 2021 at the Greenville Town Hall 120 Bidwell St. (behind the Fire Station), Greenville 95947. See the flyer here.
Sierraville every Thursday at the Old Sierraville School Community Center: 305 Lincoln Street (Hwy 89), Sierraville CA 96126
Portola every other Saturday at the Portola Veterans Hall; 449 W. Sierra Ave, Portola CA 96122. Next testing date is January 23, 2021.
- A mid-nasal swab will be collected at appointment.
- You will be notified of your test results 2 to 5 days after collection by phone, email or text No age limit.
- Pre-registration preferred, not required.
- Residents without internet access: (888) 634-1123
Below are facilities offering testing in or near Sierra County. Many clinics offer Drive-Thru Testing options. Always call first for screening and registration.
- Eastern Plumas Health Care (Loyalton) - (530) 993-1231
- Eastern Plumas Health Care (Portola)- (530) 832-6600
- Plumas District Hospital (Quincy) - (530) 283-5640
- Sierra Nevada Medical Center (Grass Valley) - (530) 274-6000
- Western Sierra Medical Clinic (Downieville) - (530) 274-9762
Home Self Test Kits
The FDA has approved many self testing kits which can be ordered on-line. Some test for antibodies and others for the active infection. Here is a list of a few. Costs ranging from FREE to $150.00 each.
1. Must health plans cover COVID-19 testing?
Yes. Health plans must cover COVID-19 tests that are FDA approved or authorized, or approved by the state, without prior authorization and at no cost to the enrollee. This includes follow-up (serial/sequential) tests. This requirement applies to such tests administered by a skilled nursing facility.
2. Does the requirement for health plans to cover COVID-19 apply to testing for asymptomatic individuals?
Yes. Health plans must cover testing for COVID-19 and may not deny coverage based on lack of medical necessity. Please refer to the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act” (CARES Act) for additional information.
3. Does the requirement for health plans to cover COVID-19 testing apply to commercial, Medi-Cal, and Medicare Advantage plans?
Yes. All of these plans must cover COVID-19 testing, without prior authorization, and at no cost to the enrollee. Similarly, recent guidance from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) also requires coverage of COVID-19 tests for beneficiaries in traditional Medicare coverage.
4. Does the requirement for health plans to cover COVID-19 testing apply to self-funded, employer plans (also known as ERISA plans)?
Yes. Self-funded employer plans also are required to cover COVID-19 testing and screening without cost to the enrollee, and without prior authorization. Please refer to the CARES Act for additional information.