Adult Protective Services (APS)

Each county has an APS agency to help elder adults (60 years and older) and dependent adults (18-64 who are disabled), when these adults are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes and hotels or hospitals and health clinics when the abuser is not at staff member. (The Licensing & Certification program of the California Department of Health Services handles cases of abuse by a member of a hospital or health clinic.) County APS staff evaluates abuse cases and arranges for services such as advocacy, counseling, money management, out-of-home placement, or conservatorship.

APS staff also provides information and referral to other agencies and educates the public about reporting requirements and responsibilities under the Elder and Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting laws.

For Whom

Services are available to any person, regardless of income.

Where To Get Help 

If you want to report elder abuse, contact Sierra County Social Services or abuse reports may also be made to your local law enforcement agency.

The following form is to assist you in filing your report of suspected dependent adult or elder abuse.

Report of Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse Translation: Spanish version