Animal Control

Animal Control Services


Due to budget restrictions in the city of Loyalton, the Sheriff's Office is unable to respond to non-emergency animal calls. These types of calls include: non-aggressive animals at large; lost animals; barking dog complaints; etc.

Domesticated Animals:

Dogs, Cats, etc. Report aggressive animals throughout the County to the Sheriff's Office immediately. 

Animal Bites:

All canine bites are reported to the Sheriff's Office and are followed up by the Public Health Department. Other species should be reported to Fish and Wildlife and Sierra County Public Health Office.

Feral Cats:

The Sheriff's Office is unable to respond to any reports regarding feral cats due to budget cuts.


Cattle, sheep, etc. Livestock that are a hazard, such as in a roadway, should be reported to the California Highway Patrol at: 530-257-2191.

Fish & Wildlife:

Bear Aware Guide for Homeowner’s & Renter’s

Animal Surrender Procedure:

To surrender your animal with the Sheriff's Office, follow these steps:

  • Call us at 530-289-3700 (Loyalton 530-993-4479) to schedule an appointment.
  • Pay the $292.00 fee - the Deputy will give you a receipt.
  • Complete the Animal Surrender Form: CatsDogs 
  • At that time, the Deputy will provide the current transportation and kennel information.